In October of 2011 we began our search for our charity 2012. We received several applications, and finally short-listed two charities. We met with both charities and found out more about the support they offer, how they work and how they would like us to support them.
After a difficult decision, as both charities were worthy of our support, we chose St Basils Charity.
St Basils helps prevent youth homelessness by offering accommodation and support services.
Homelessness is a complex issue and has many causes but some of the issues that most effect young people are overcrowding, abuse and family breakdown.
A summary of the services that are offered -
- St Basils works with young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- St Basils does a lot of work to prevent youth homelessness with a helpline (Youthline), Housing aid and advice service (the Youth Hub), a Schools training and mentoring project (STAMP) and a Family Mediation Service
- St Basils has 27 supported accommodation projects, 24 in Birmingham and 3 in North Worcestershire
- St Basils can accommodate 400 young people per night
- St Basils helps 4000 young people per year
- St Basils has 2 emergency accommodation projects and is funded to provide Crash Pads
- St Basils has 2 designated mother and baby units
- St Basils can offer accredited Life Skills courses to young residents
- St Basils has extensive Learning, Skills and Work Programmes
- St Basils has a Youth Advisory Board and other involvement opportunities
St Basils works across Birmingham, Solihull and North Worcestershire to prevent youth homelessness by providing a range of support services and supported accommodation. They work with young people aged 16 – 25 including some young mums and dads, so at any time housed within our projects there may be babies, toddlers and young children as well.
If you would like to know more about the work St Basils does or you would like to offer your support, please visit their website – http://www.stbasils.org.uk
They also have an extensive diary of activities to get involved with this year